Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Crime & Punishment... the barefoot way.

Imagine a young couple driving out on a date. The young man, more fixated on his girl than his driving, finds himself going 60 miles per hour in a 45mph zone. Unfortunately, he's spotted by a cop and is quickly pulled over. The police officer approaches the car and asks the female passenger for identification. He then proceeds to write *her* a ticket and leaves. What's wrong with this picture?

As far as I know, for every law in the United States, it is the person who breaks the law who pays the penalty. It works that way for theft, murder, tax evasion... everything. Except apparently for the health code "laws" that regulate restaurants and businesses.

No such laws actually exist, but I've been told by more than one restaurant manager that if "they got caught with me in there barefoot, they'd be fined." One manager even told me they'd be "shut down." Wow. This is serious stuff. Fined? Shut down? Like everybody out, doors padlocked, out-of-business "shut down"? Strangely, this is apparently the only law/code/regulation where the perpetrator goes home while someone else pays the price. If I walked into that restaurant not only barefoot but fully naked, who would be arrested/fined? The restaurant manager? I don't think so.

Silly. But many, many people believe the law works differently when you're barefoot.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. It's really ignorant and that is why we of the Society for Barefoot Living have to keep helping these people.

    Not to be mean but I think these are the same people that Bill Engvall would want to wear a sign that says I'm Stupid.

    ReplyDelete